Tuesday 27 January 2015

The Hunt for an Organizer

I need an organizer. Like bad. And this isn’t an “oh it’d be nice to have a cute little organizer to add to the amount of things that I already carry around” type of need. This is an- I have lists coming out of my ears and dates that are already booked well into the Summer that I know that I’m going to forget unless I start writing this stuff down- type of need. Now to be fair, I heavily utilize my calendar at work because, let’s face it, I spend the majority of my weeks there looking at my computer screen and it’s super handy to have little reminders that just *POP* right up in my face so that I cannot forget things. Unfortunately I can’t carry around my computer all day, waiting for the pop-ups to *POP* and help keep me on track.

My sweet husband has tried to sync our phone calendars so that whenever one of us adds yet another activity into the calendar, it makes a nice little sound on my phone (similar to the POP effect that I seemingly need). But that’s only helpful if things are actually PUT in the calendar and more often than not, things get missed (but they’re conveniently scheduled in my work calendar…that’s super helpful on the weekends when I have no access to that, right?).
And yes, for all of you busy moms out there who can relate, I have unwillingly succumbed to the giant, obnoxious looking “busy-mom-fridge-calendar” from Costco that takes up way too much space in my kitchen and which you can see as soon as you open my front door. This one has actually proved to be helpful, especially for the hubby who often has a pretty busy, ever-changing schedule and who makes the cutest effort to try to write legibly and ever-so-neatly as to not offend his OCD wife with his chicken scratch.

Such an eye sore, yet, I admit, so handy.
 
My problem with this calendar is, 1. I cannot simply role this thing up and cart it around with me wherever I go as to ensure that my organizational skills stay relatively adequate. And 2. There is no room for lists on this calendar. And if you know anything about me at all, you know that I need my lists. The tiny little space at the top of the giant calendar labeled “To Do”, just won’t do.

My sweet hubby also bought me these in an attempt to save my sanity.
Don’t get me wrong, I am organized. As an always busy wife and working mom of 2, I have to be organized otherwise my days would be filled with utter chaos (although sometimes, no amount of organization can prevent chaos with 2 kids who like to wrestle and who often spill things). But I need some help.

I’m a planner- actually, I’m a pretty serious over-planner. I plan for parties at least 6 months in advanced. Right around Halloween, I asked my daughter what kind of birthday party she wanted this year, just so that I could start preparing. Her birthday is in April. I also already have a list of ideas and potential themes for my son’s birthday in late June. That’s how I plan. That’s why I need lists. And that’s why I need an organizer.  Plus, we’re not even a full month into this year and people are coming at me with dates for this and dates for that. Over and above the dates that I have already planned for and am currently planning for, it’s getting to be a bit overwhelming with no one spot where I can write it all down. As much as I love my iPhone and its ‘easy’ organizational apps, I’m old school and need a pen and paper.

Hello party planning...list 1 of about 7 or 8...


So I’m hoping that if I put this out there, someone can relate to the quest that I’m currently on and help me find that perfect planner/organizer to help simplify my life, even just a little. As it’s nearing the end of January, a friendly staff member at my local Chapters helpfully pointed out that all of their organizers and planners sold out right after New Year’s-with a chipper smile she said “I guess people are just trying to get a jump on things, you know?”

Yes. Yes I do know. And maybe if I had an organizer, I would’ve had a reminder in there to ‘buy a new organizer’ before they all sold out and left me feeling somewhat behind the game, only a few weeks into the New Year. But thanks for that.

Here’s hoping the perfect organizer finds me soon. Happy planning everyone!

Xo

M

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about both the list keeping and the need to plan waaaay in advance! I always get a planner that starts in September and goes all the way the way through to the following summer! I got mine at Target :)

    ReplyDelete