Wednesday 14 January 2015

New Year, New Opportunities


Last year my New Year’s resolutions were simple:

1.       Focus on the positive

2.       Be the best Mom & role model that I can be to my kids

While it’s super easy for me to often get carried away about the “worst-case-scenarios” and the “what-ifs” of life, for the most part, I found myself often stopping to take a breath throughout the year and focusing on the positives rather than the negatives (even if the negative people were positively p*ssing me off…see what I did there?).

Now in regards to resolution #2, well you’ll have to ask my kids how I did. There were definitely moments of chaos. Moments of “do you think colouring on your bed was a good idea?!” and “seriously- stop stealing your brothers toys!”. But there were absolutely beautiful moments too and I definitely choose to focus on those.



 
 
So, apart from continuing to focus on the positive, my resolutions for this year are going to be a little more challenging:

1.       Focus on quality time with the people and relationships that matter most

2.       Focus on my own goals while also prioritizing some personal ME time

Now, the last one is always the one that I feel needs some explaining, but in all honestly, I’m a busy, working mom and wife and some guilt-free (ya right!) ME time is seriously needed. Last year I kicked myself into gear and started focusing more on my health and physical well-being. Now, I’m no fitness guru, but I definitely love the energy and pride that I felt after I had participated and stuck to some fun and often challenging fitness routines. This year, I’m hoping to continue to challenge myself not only physically and professionally, but also mentally. As much as I hate to admit it, stress plays a huge part in my life and I’m constantly trying to find new ways of coping and managing my stress levels. Exercise has definitely helped, but I’m also hoping to find time for the quiet, simple ways that I can relax and unwind- picking up a new book, having a quiet, kid-free bath once in a while (heaven!), continuing to focus on writing….anything really to help my mind escape and relax, even for a few minutes.

My 'Quality Time' resolution is also really important to me- it’s always so easy to get caught up in day-to-day juggling and the important things like quality time with your spouse and kids or even quality girl-time with friends seem to take a back seat on the priority list (at least for me anyway). I’m hoping that I can juggle my time a little bit better this year and make sure to focus on the relationships that truly matter and the friendships that truly bring out the best in me. These positive friendships and relationships are going to help energize me for this year ahead. I’m tired of the copious amounts of negativity in the world. There are too many things to be excited for and I hope to surround myself with wonderful, supportive people who will encourage my ideas and aspirations and hopefully, I can do the same for them.

So there you have it, big dreams for a big year ahead. Here’s hoping that 2015 is filled with excitement, new adventures and limitless possibilities for all of us!

Xo

M

No comments:

Post a Comment