Tuesday 27 January 2015

30.

The late nights, insane list-making, cake-baking and party planning paid off. My wonderful hubby turned 30 this weekend and we had an amazing weekend filled with fun, celebrating him.

I was pretty sleep deprived by the end of the week, but everything managed to come together without a hitch. We spent Saturday night surrounded by awesome family and friends. The Jell-O Shots were consumed, the 80’s themed Candy bar was a hit and the cake was exactly what he was hoping for.

Candy Bars are always a hit...especially 80's themed ones.



A Vodka themed party needs a Vodka Menu

 
His topsy-turvy cake was no easy feat. By the time I was ready to roll out the fondant and get decorating, the kitchen and I were roasting and the buttercream icing wouldn’t really set (plus, since I do all my baking in my modest little kitchen, I didn’t exactly have a giant fridge that I could put all 3 cake layers in, in order to have the icing get firm for decorating). But, I managed and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.


 
The bottom layer was decorated with gum paste models of a few of his favourite things: a Seahawks logo, a Canucks logo, weights, ketchup (he LOVES ketchup), a Ford logo (he has a thing for trucks), a can of Rockstar and of course, me and the kids. All in all, I’m pretty happy with how it all looked and how it all came together. Definitely an accomplishment for my first topsy-turvy cake (although it was amusing to hear all of the “is it supposed to look like it’s about to fall over?” comments. LOL!)

After the festivities of the weekend were over and the basement returned to normal, we celebrated his birthday on Monday with a special surprise. The kids had helped me pick out, wrap and set up “30 surprises for his 30th birthday”. My daughter and I woke up extra early on Monday morning and left a trail of 30 surprises all over the upstairs hallway and down the stairs, leading to his main gifts from myself and the kids. The *30 surprises* were anything from homemade cards from the kids to gift cards for some much needed new work clothes.
Little Helpers





His favourite surprise:


We spent the rest of the day making sure that he felt extra special, extra important and extra loved. It was a wonderful day spent celebrating such an amazing guy.


This picture is fuzzy because I was laughing so hard. For obvious reasons.




Happy 30th birthday love. The best is yet to come.

Xo

M

No comments:

Post a Comment